Thursday, July 10, 2014

New in Akasaka: Aoyama Flower Market Tea House

Last week Aoyama Flower Market opened a tea house in Akasaka. The flower shop has been here at the Biz Tower as long as I've lived in Akasaka, and I always find their fresh bouquets so tempting when I pass by. When I saw that they were adding a tea house I couldn't wait for it to open. I was worried there would be a long line and we'd have trouble getting in, but either the secret isn't out yet or no one is as excited as me because we were able to walk right in on their opening day, and it's never looked unpleasantly crowded.

The decor is wonderful, even better than Nicolai Bergmann. There are green plants growing along the walls and little trellises near the ceiling and each table has plants below the glass with little vases built right in. They seem to have new fresh flowers each week (last week's were sunflowers, this week's are orchids) . It felt so fresh and airy, almost like a cafe built for woodland fairies. The only bad thing I will say is that I could smell someone smoking a cigar at the bar next door and it really bothered me. To be fair, Raku said she couldn't smell a thing and I am far more sensitive to smoke than the normal human being.

They serve lunch and dinner as well as snacks, tea, and wine. We went later in the day after writing, so we both ordered herbals teas. They came out in glass teapots with generous bunches of herbs steeping in the hot water. We ordered a pot each of Relax and Refresh, but couldn't tell much difference in the flavor. At 800 yen the pots of tea are a little pricey, but I suppose you're paying to enjoy all the fresh flowers too. We'd read a review of their Omotesando location that recommended the french toast, so we ordered that as well. It came out crisp on the outside and custardy in the middle with a little pot of honey, a small bowl of cream, and a shaker of cinnamon. I'm not a fan of honey, but the cinnamon and cream were divine on the french toast. Subtly sweet and so satisfying.

It's not the cheapest place to get a cup of tea and a snack, but it's far less than doing a full afternoon tea, and the atmosphere is certainly relaxing and refreshing. I'd definitely recommend it as a way to recharge when the stress of crowded sidewalks, stuffy trains, and towering building is getting to you.

Aoyama Flower Market Tea House - Akasaka Location
Hours: 11:00-11:00
Phone: 03-3586-0687
Address: 5-3-1 Akasaka, Minato-ku, Tokyo
Map


No comments:

Post a Comment