Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Bonnat Chocolate

You know, I'm really a small town girl when it comes down to it.  Living in Tokyo is so much fun, and there are a million opportunities, but I am constantly realizing just how much I don't know.  I often make fun of stores that have ridiculous English names, but sometimes I learn that the store is actually some well known designer that I just don't have a clue about (ex: Acne).  In Tokyo you can get brand name anything.  Over Christmas I read an article in the New York Times about chocolate.  A year ago I don't think I knew a single one of the Chocolatiers they mentioned, but now I've heard of more than half of them just from walking past them in Tokyo Midtown (where I love to eat lunch and write) or Omotesando.

Recently Raku and I were in Shirokanedai, and Raku mentioned there was a chocolate shop she wanted to stop in.  It's a small store that has a selection of import foods, but mostly focuses on coffee beans and candy.  They have a whole room (kept at a cooler temperature) devoted to Bonnat chocolate, an artisanal chocolatier that is maybe the oldest family-run one in the world.  At first I wasn't sure I could really bring myself to spend about $12 on one bar of chocolate.  But then I got to thinking, if it's the best in the world, that's really not very expensive at all for a Valentine's present.  And my husband does love fancy things that might be the best in the world.

I got the Apotequil bar, the one recommended in the article.  John really enjoyed it and was kind enough to let me try it too.  The texture was so wonderfully smooth, I can't imagine how much cocoa butter must have been in there, and the flavor was great too.  It was a very fruity complex dark chocolate that was absolutely indulgent to eat.  I'm not experienced enough to claim it's the best in the world, but I'd definitely like to eat some more.

The shop in Shirokanedai is called "& Market" (things like that drive me crazy).  Their address is 5-18-7, Shirokanedai, Minato-ku and this is a link to their website.

Bonnat Chocolate at & Market
Hours: 9:00-9:00
Phone: 03-6450-3903
Address: 5-18-7, Shirokanedai, Minato-ku, Tokyo
Map





No comments:

Post a Comment